Resource: SKY News
A TikTok trend where teenagers use tiny magnets as fake tongue piercings has prompted the NHS to call for the metal balls to be banned. The viral challenge involves people putting two magnetic balls on either side of their tongue to give the appearance of a tongue piercing.
But accidentally swallowing more than one magnet can be life-threatening and cause serious damage within hours. An 11-year-old is among those who suffered serious complications after apparently swallowing several of the magnets, according to Worcester News. Ellis Tripp was rushed to the hospital and forced to undergo a six-hour operation to remove five inches of his bowel.
At least 65 children have been admitted to hospital in England for urgent surgery after swallowing magnets in the last three years. Professor Simon Kenny, paediatric surgeon and national clinical director for children and young people at NHS England, has called for the magnets to be banned.
The NHS said anyone who has swallowed magnets should not wait to develop symptoms and should instead go to A&E immediately.